Skip to main content

Boarding school: the good, the bad, the ugly.

I remember highschool like it was yesterday. I spent my entire highschool experience at two different boarding schools. They both had a different experiences but there were a lot of similarities too.

Both boarding schools I went to were Christian boarding which meant that Sundays were spent at church or we had daily devotionals. I loved this, I don't think I would have grown so much in Christ if I did not go to boarding school. Also I made friends I want to keep for life,there is so much of my country I want to explore and more languages I want to learn.
The first boarding school I went to,we were allowed to really be creative,there were socials,art exhibitions, talent shows etc. There was a big singing and dancing culture too. This is where I discovered I loved to write. 

In the second boarding school they were more focused on developing a leader. It was very time and chore based. The seniors lead most activities and the way you presented yourself was important. My leadership skills really came to fruition there.

Now let's talk about the not so good . Firstly, homesickness, you will miss home in boarding school and this can make you really depressed. Secondly, is academic pressure. The reason your parents/guardians sent you there in the first place is because they want to see an improvement in your marks which can make the pressure double. You end up developing unhealthy studying mechanisms.
Thirdly, is peer pressure. There will be many decisions that you make,that you will regret because you want to fit in. Fourthly, which is something I hated is that the people put in charge of your well-being matrons,boarding executives etc. Will project their own perceptions and fears on you. For example,in the last boarding school I went to there was an obsession with how the girls dressed. We were constantly made to feel bad about what we wore, we were often sexualised by older males and bear in mind we were children.
Perceptions of beauty and spirituality were also placed heavily on us.

Depression and anxiety are also overlooked. We would spend huge chunks of our day sleeping and would mask it by saying we are "tired". Always having to be punctual, look in a certain way, having to adjust resulted in so much anxiety. Lastly, there is a big homophobic culture in boarding schools especially on the male side.

I asked a few of my friends on their boarding experiences. A lot of responses were positive. They mentioned having a sense of community,learning to be independent, diversity and being responsible as the biggest lessons from their experience. However,most of them mentioned not being able to trust people as a bad experience that they had.

Should you take your child to boarding school? It is up to you honestly. I do not regret going. It was the best solution for the situation I was. The experiences good and bad prepared me for so much.

Comments

  1. I love it ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful piece Amantle. You were always such an exceptional writer

    ReplyDelete
  4. This why it always good to highlight both sides. I am sorry for what you went through.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are you lazy or just burned out?

Good day, my love bugs. In a world that glorifies productivity, resilience, and endless multi-tasking, many women find themselves quietly battling a double-edged sword: executive dysfunction and emotional burnout. These terms can be intimidating, but they are deeply personal and often misunderstood, especially in women with functional depression. What is executive dysfunction? Kendra Kubala from Healthline wrote in her article Understanding Executive Dysfunction and How It Shows Up that executive dysfunction disrupts the brain's ability to plan, focus, remember instructions, and manage multiple tasks. It affects the executive functions of the brain, which are skills that help us get things done. It is not laziness or lack of willpower. It is often linked to mental health conditions like ADHD, anxiety, depression, and trauma. For many women, executive dysfunction looks like: Starting tasks but never finishing them. Constantly missing deadlines or appointments Feeling overwhelmed ...

Diet Culture and the relationship with our bodies

Good day, my love bugs. On this blog, we focus on personal development and wellness on a more intrinsic level. However, I want to discuss conventional beauty and how societal standards can affect our relationship with ourselves. What is conventional beauty? According to Wellness Voice being conventionally attractive means that your look is along the lines of society's ideals of what looks good. This is basically what we are fed of what beauty is whether it is at home, within culture, or in mass media. As someone who loves social media, I have watched a lot of YouTube videos on women getting dangerous procedures, very invasive procedures such as BBLs. This is no hate to women who decide to get surgery but we need to be honest about how beauty is social currency. Life seems easier for people who possess conventional beauty there are many trends on social media regarding beauty such as the 'lean girl' aesthetic or the 'hourglass figure'. That can be a blog post on ...

My Prom,21 October 2020.

They day finally came, the day of my prom! I remember being so nervous and in the moment. I had so much to do and time was catching up on me.  Keyword:TIME that is what defines you on that day. Walking through the red carpet while everyone is chanting your name is thrilling. By the end of the night we all had our heels off,dozens of pictures were taken and we danced our butts off. I will remember that night forever.  These are my tips on how you should get ready for your prom: 1. Have an allocated budget and plan everything revolving around your budget. 2. Do not put yourself under unecessary pressure you don't need the most expensive dress,shoes or car to look good or be memorable. 3. Plan everything way in advance,if you are getting your dress/suit designed make sure you start your arrangements 6 months in advance. 4.Be open to trying new things,like that set idea you have of your dress but there may be something better out there. 5. Go for fittings two weeks before the even...