Skip to main content

Editors Note: The multifaceted babe, burnout, perfectionism and social media culture.

Good day, my love bugs.

Can spring get here already? I am ready to wear my sundress.

I have been taking some time to think about all of the goals that I had set for this year and I came across a podcast episode on the To My Sisters YouTube channel. I love this podcast and recommend it. In this episode, they were talking about being a multi-faceted babe, which is very popular on social media this means you have different aspects to you, to your interests or you work different careers. 

This is not an issue primarily, there is a famous saying that goes ‘An idle mind is the devil's playground' We have to have hobbies, and we have to keep our minds stimulated and our bodies moving however, with this generation of social media, being multifaceted is put on the extreme. Considering the capitalist system and how the world economies are functioning, it is wise to have more than one stream of income. It would also be great if everyone could live well financially but this becomes an issue when it is at the cost of your health. Social media culture promotes, working tirelessly for a dream life that you will see curated on an Instagram page.

I support the girls getting their bags, I support the girls for wanting to demolish poverty. However, there is a cost to pay for being an over-achiever, trust me I would know. I also end up putting so much on my plate that I feel overwhelmed but I have found that there is more to being an overachiever than we pay attention to.

 According to Eden, the health retreat, overachieving is never being satisfied with your accomplishments, you always strive for more and rarely reward yourself for your work. You harshly criticize yourself, you only care about the outcome, you never take time off and you are most definitely a perfectionist. Overachieving also stems from a place of feeling insecure and inadequate.
Being an overachiever has a serious impact on your physical and mental health, you may experience low appetite, poor sleep, headaches, fatigue, depression, and a weaker immune system. What is the point of putting in all this work, just for you to not be satisfied with yourself? You need to take a step back and change your outlook. A journal prompt that could help is “What kind of life do I want to live?” 

Do you want to look back at your life and only remember yourself stressed and stuck in a job you do not like, making money that you are not going to spend? Or do you want to remember your days to be full of adventure, laughter, and good memories? I am not saying you should not be multifaceted, embrace it but practice acceptance. Most good things take time, perfection is an illusion, and live your life for you. Get plenty of plenty of rest, and spoil yourself once in a while.

Till next time, Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you lazy or just burned out?

Good day, my love bugs. In a world that glorifies productivity, resilience, and endless multi-tasking, many women find themselves quietly battling a double-edged sword: executive dysfunction and emotional burnout. These terms can be intimidating, but they are deeply personal and often misunderstood, especially in women with functional depression. What is executive dysfunction? Kendra Kubala from Healthline wrote in her article Understanding Executive Dysfunction and How It Shows Up that executive dysfunction disrupts the brain's ability to plan, focus, remember instructions, and manage multiple tasks. It affects the executive functions of the brain, which are skills that help us get things done. It is not laziness or lack of willpower. It is often linked to mental health conditions like ADHD, anxiety, depression, and trauma. For many women, executive dysfunction looks like: Starting tasks but never finishing them. Constantly missing deadlines or appointments Feeling overwhelmed ...

Diet Culture and the relationship with our bodies

Good day, my love bugs. On this blog, we focus on personal development and wellness on a more intrinsic level. However, I want to discuss conventional beauty and how societal standards can affect our relationship with ourselves. What is conventional beauty? According to Wellness Voice being conventionally attractive means that your look is along the lines of society's ideals of what looks good. This is basically what we are fed of what beauty is whether it is at home, within culture, or in mass media. As someone who loves social media, I have watched a lot of YouTube videos on women getting dangerous procedures, very invasive procedures such as BBLs. This is no hate to women who decide to get surgery but we need to be honest about how beauty is social currency. Life seems easier for people who possess conventional beauty there are many trends on social media regarding beauty such as the 'lean girl' aesthetic or the 'hourglass figure'. That can be a blog post on ...

My Prom,21 October 2020.

They day finally came, the day of my prom! I remember being so nervous and in the moment. I had so much to do and time was catching up on me.  Keyword:TIME that is what defines you on that day. Walking through the red carpet while everyone is chanting your name is thrilling. By the end of the night we all had our heels off,dozens of pictures were taken and we danced our butts off. I will remember that night forever.  These are my tips on how you should get ready for your prom: 1. Have an allocated budget and plan everything revolving around your budget. 2. Do not put yourself under unecessary pressure you don't need the most expensive dress,shoes or car to look good or be memorable. 3. Plan everything way in advance,if you are getting your dress/suit designed make sure you start your arrangements 6 months in advance. 4.Be open to trying new things,like that set idea you have of your dress but there may be something better out there. 5. Go for fittings two weeks before the even...