Skip to main content

Take a social media break

Good day my love bugs.
I know the internet, and social media, in general, has popularised therapy tools so that they are less intimidating and more digestible. One therapy tool I wanted to talk about is taking a break and in this instance, a social media break. What is a social media break, you might ask, well it is exactly that. 

We usually talk about taking a pause and putting your feet on the ground or taking a walk, a social media break is whatever you want it to look like. Whether it is limiting the amount of social media you consume daily or taking a hiatus from social media for quite some time do with it what you will.
I used to be very ignorant about how impactful social media is and now I make sure I take a break as often as I can. I usually opt for the hiatus, I will take a break for a while and uninstall some apps. On the first day of taking this step, I usually get withdrawal symptoms and I feel the continuous need to just click my phone. 

How you know you need a social media break is when you cannot stop comparing, social media indeed highlights people's lives but it should not make you inadequate or dissatisfied with your own life. You start scrolling without realizing it, this is for my Tiktok or fast app users. Something is comforting to us about social media and you end up using it without even realizing it. You also notice that you are easily irritable or annoyed by everything you see because there is so much information out there and the algorithm switches up a lot you are easily affected by what you consume. This also causes you to be anxious about what you see on your timeline.
It is also the first thing you check in the morning and the last thing you check at night, this habit has been linked to increased stress and anxiety this is according to the Cleveland Clinic. Lastly, it is not fun anymore, I believe social media platforms were designed to be fun, interactive, and a way for people to connect. If it has lost its core feeling then it is time to step away from it.

Taking a break can allow you to be one with your thoughts and also will enable you to be a bit calmer. I have found that I can keep a long concentration span by taking a social media break. Take time to rest most importantly, take on a relaxing hobby such as painting or journaling. I think you should try it as I always say things do not have to be catastrophic for you to realize you need to take a break or stop a particular habit. I hope you learned quite a bit from this piece and that you are doing well when reading this.
  Till next time, cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are you lazy or just burned out?

Good day, my love bugs. In a world that glorifies productivity, resilience, and endless multi-tasking, many women find themselves quietly battling a double-edged sword: executive dysfunction and emotional burnout. These terms can be intimidating, but they are deeply personal and often misunderstood, especially in women with functional depression. What is executive dysfunction? Kendra Kubala from Healthline wrote in her article Understanding Executive Dysfunction and How It Shows Up that executive dysfunction disrupts the brain's ability to plan, focus, remember instructions, and manage multiple tasks. It affects the executive functions of the brain, which are skills that help us get things done. It is not laziness or lack of willpower. It is often linked to mental health conditions like ADHD, anxiety, depression, and trauma. For many women, executive dysfunction looks like: Starting tasks but never finishing them. Constantly missing deadlines or appointments Feeling overwhelmed ...

Diet Culture and the relationship with our bodies

Good day, my love bugs. On this blog, we focus on personal development and wellness on a more intrinsic level. However, I want to discuss conventional beauty and how societal standards can affect our relationship with ourselves. What is conventional beauty? According to Wellness Voice being conventionally attractive means that your look is along the lines of society's ideals of what looks good. This is basically what we are fed of what beauty is whether it is at home, within culture, or in mass media. As someone who loves social media, I have watched a lot of YouTube videos on women getting dangerous procedures, very invasive procedures such as BBLs. This is no hate to women who decide to get surgery but we need to be honest about how beauty is social currency. Life seems easier for people who possess conventional beauty there are many trends on social media regarding beauty such as the 'lean girl' aesthetic or the 'hourglass figure'. That can be a blog post on ...

My Prom,21 October 2020.

They day finally came, the day of my prom! I remember being so nervous and in the moment. I had so much to do and time was catching up on me.  Keyword:TIME that is what defines you on that day. Walking through the red carpet while everyone is chanting your name is thrilling. By the end of the night we all had our heels off,dozens of pictures were taken and we danced our butts off. I will remember that night forever.  These are my tips on how you should get ready for your prom: 1. Have an allocated budget and plan everything revolving around your budget. 2. Do not put yourself under unecessary pressure you don't need the most expensive dress,shoes or car to look good or be memorable. 3. Plan everything way in advance,if you are getting your dress/suit designed make sure you start your arrangements 6 months in advance. 4.Be open to trying new things,like that set idea you have of your dress but there may be something better out there. 5. Go for fittings two weeks before the even...